Why is exascale HPC necessary for the energy industry?
There is a strong need for exascale HPC and data intensive algorithms in the energy industry. Harnessing the power of exascale computing, ENERXICO will focus on the following:
- Geophysical exploration for Mexican subsalt hydrocarbons.
- Reservoir modeling in the naturally fractured Mexican reservoirs.
- Multiphase flows in pipelines with heavy oil.
- Molecular modeling of catalysts for heavy oil refining.
- Combustion simulation tools to optimize fuel-biofuel design and performance towards more sustainable and greener transport systems.
- Develop methodologies to understand and predict the multi-scale atmospheric motion relevant for the operation and performance of wind farms in complex wind situations.
HPC FOR WIND ENERGY
The competitiveness of wind farms can only be guaranteed using an accurate wind resource assessment, farm design and short-term micro-scale wind simulations to forecast daily power production. In offshore wind farms, additional engineering problems related with mooring and anchorage mechanisms increase the HPC needs.
HPC FOR BIOFUELS
The use of exascale computing using high-fidelity simulations can represent an important step forward to provide further understanding on the combustion process and emissions characteristics of these new fuels and industrial guidelines for engine operation and maintenance.
HPC FOR OIL & GAS
The need for efficient exploration, production, transport and refining of oil and gasrequire massive data simulations well fitted for exascale computers, in particular: 1) exploration data processing requires fine meshes to capture small geological features in areas of several square kilometers, 2) exploitation relies heavily on hydrocarbon flow forecast at reservoir scale which needs robust simulations and 3) the refinement industry will benefit from simulated experiments that can substitute expensive real laboratory exploration for new catalysts.